Friday, March 7, 2014

Conversation with a Stranger

Last Saturday, I went to a conference at a large area church called Science and Faith. I applauded that the church isn't running from tense topics like this and was interested in the content so I took my Saturday and spent part of it at the church. It turned out to be a really good conference with discussion on topics such as bioethics, global warming, astronomy, and creation.

My most memorable encounter at that conference however, wasn't a speaker or session, but a conversation with a stranger. During our lunch break, I had staked out a table to eat my sandwich and look over the notes. I was open to sharing my table, so kept an eye out for other people who had come to the conference alone. I saw this pretty, blonde lady who was probably in her mid-forties, and it was clear she was looking for a place to sit. I smiled and welcomed her over to my table and she gladly began to settle in the seat opposite me. We began the basic get to know you chat while we enjoyed our lunches. This lady had a particularly interesting story. She grew up in the Catholic church, but through a series of unfortunate circumstances in her church, had casually started going to other churches but hadn't really found one she was committed to. Her husband is an atheist and her three teenage to young adult children are somewhere in between. She had come to the conference to demonstrate the importance of God to her kids, however she felt herself floundering and wasn't sure how to pursue God or what her next move should be. She began really sharing with me the struggle she was having in life with her family and her faith. There was some definite hurt from what had happened at her catholic church and she felt a bit lost without a community to turn to. During her story, she started crying as all the hurt came to the surface. I was amazed that she would feel so comfortable with me to open up with me about her pain.

I felt the need to pray for her. During her sharing, I had reaffirmed her feelings, listened to her struggle, and really felt moved to pray for her. I can't remember what I prayed because I feel like God was praying through me. I remember vaguely praying something like it not mattering where she goes to church, but it mattering more her relationship with God. When I opened my eyes, it was clear that she had been crying during my prayer. This time however, her tears were different. Instead of tears from pain, these were tears from hope. The Lord has met her and brought encouragement and comfort to her. It was really fun to see that change in her face.

I tell that story to show you how wonderful our God is, and also to raise awareness that there are hurting people inside and outside our churches. Our God is so wonderful that He knew this woman's pain and met with her exactly where she was. He spoke works that needed to be heard to encourage her and touch her. I love watching God work. Also, I think it's important for Christians to remember that there are hurting, broken people inside the church too. We know there are hurting people outside the church, but we don't often pay attention to the hurting ones within. As the body of Christ, we need to pay attention to those sitting in church services with us and be willing to pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment